An Overview About Leading A Life With A Disorder Of Keratoconus
A lot of people are going through an eye disorder known as Keratoconus. Keratoconus is a condition where the thinning of the cornea happens, and it is transformed, into a cone-shaped cornea. Thus, the eyesight of a person is affected, and it becomes worse. The cornea is the outmost layer of the eyesight. Thus, the light is reflected on the cornea.
The cornea then focuses the light impact on the retina and can have perfect vision. Due to Keratoconus, cornea can become more irregular in shape and people can suffer from eye disorders such as glare and light sensitivity problems, blur vision and irregular astigmatism. In this case, patients need to change their eyeglasses to get the complete vision or they can be suggested to go for an eye surgery.
What are the causes of Keratoconus?
- Keratoconus is a condition, which is inherited from one’s previous generation. Further, it has a connection with different kinds of allergies such as hay fever, asthma, and eczema. However, the rubbing of eyes aggravates this condition of eyes. The cornea is pretty thin from the start, and the shape is transposed into a cone shape.
- Most of the people suffering from this Keratoconus disorder having a problem in clear vision. Further, they can talk about a change in the number of the glasses in a short span of time.
- People suffering from this condition shall complain about sensitivity towards light and other such irritations in the eyesight. These are some of the common symptoms noticed in people suffering from this disorder.
Diagnosis for this condition
If you suffer from any eye problems such as irritation, low vision or blurred vision then you must consult a doctor and he or she can prescribe you right medication along with the eyeglasses. The doctor will check your eyes and suggest you some eye tests as below:
- Visual evaluation
- Refractive evaluation
- Retina evaluation
- Slit Lamp assessment
- Corneal measurement
- Corneal topography
Treatment of Keratoconus
- Considering the situation of the progression, what we can do is take up the test of Corneal Collagen Cross. During this Keratoconus treatment, the plastic layer that surrounds the cornea is removed. Then droplets of a solution are given to the patient, so it passes on the cornea to go through the toleration of ultra-violet rays. Thus, through a lot of research and studies, it has been proven that this test strengthens the cornea.
- The second aspect of having a look at is the improvement of vision. Two tests that are performed in this condition; one is the Toric ICL and the second one being the corneal transplant. The Toric ICL is done to rectify the refractive eye. The Corneal transplant consists of another corneal that might be grafted into your eye.
- Today, you can also find some custom soft contact lenses in the market and these lenses are designed for mind to moderate Keratoconus. Apart from that, there are different types of contact lenses available such as gas permeable contact lenses, hybrid contact lenses scleral contact lenses and prosthetic lenses. It depends on your condition that what type of lenses you want, and in this regard, you can discuss the same with your doctor.
So now you can search the treatment for Keratoconus online and choose the best eye clinic in your locality. Surgery is not necessary for all cases and you can easily prevent this issue by using contact lenses or proper eyeglasses. Your doctor for fast recovery can provide even medication and it is suggested to consult with your doctor before choosing any contact lenses.